Monday, July 25, 2011

Heaven Scent

I have to say I love the sites, sounds, and smells of Summer. Yesterday I brought in some peonies for my table. I knew the perfect compliment would be Northern Bedstraw. A tiny little flower that reminds me of Babies Breath. It grows in partially shaded areas , like the edge of a forest. It is an interesting little plant that has alot of uses. I have always been interested in the history of plants and their uses. It seems to me that what was once widely known about the world around us, is no longer common knowledge. This little plant was very useful. The roots of the plant were one of the only real sources of red dye. It could be made into a tea for stomach ailments. A salve was made to treat insect bites and rashes.. also used to bleach freckles. This plant is in the same family as the coffee plant and apparently it's seeds make a a very good coffee substitute. It's sweet vanilla scent made it perfect for perfume. Also used for mattress ticking, hence the name. I don't think I will be brave enough to brew up a batch of tea for medicinal purposes. But I am sure going to enjoy the wonderful aroma in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment