Thursday, November 10, 2011

Adventures in Collagraph

 I spent a few days now preparing the matrix for this print. This is what the matrix looks like after a few prints. I was excited to try this technique because it seemed fun , easy, inexpensive, and a good way to make a larger print. Also a great way to use up the roll of rice paper I have had in my stash for a few years. The Matrix is made of cardboard that I cut away with an exacto knife. I think I would have been tempted to try something a bit more complicated. After a few cuts I realized that something bolder and more graphic would be easier to cut. I also thought if it was more primitive I wouldnt be so hung up if it flopped. After I finished carving and glueing up the matrix it had to be coated a couple of time with some sort of water resistant coating . That keeps the ink from soaking in and preserves the life of the matrix. That took me a few days to do and I learned a few things here. But it was hard to be patient .... come on dry now... I want to start printing.
These are the prints that I handpulled from the matrix. The first print is done with black speedball ink. I chose it because I had more of it. Living so far out of town has it's drawbacks . One of them being that I am not able to run to the store for supplies.. so I get to use what I have on hand. I didnt like the way it printed in black. So on the second one I added some colour. My colour palette in speedball inks is limited. Not happy again. I do however have a whole shitload  tote full of acrylic paints. Hmmm... thinking. I thought the craft paints would be more the right consistancy , I also used a acrylic retarder to slow down the drying process. That gave me a little more time to apply the paint. Of course I had to try it with my metallics.. love that. For the most part I was not really that happy with the way they turned out. I did like the mottling of colour I was able to acheive and I think number 6 is my favorite colour combo. It is hard to tell hear just what the colours are. Maybe I will take some photos in the daylight so you get the idea. I think I am going to try this again with mattboard. although I love the way the corrugated part of the cardboard prints.
All in all it was a fun experiement.

The printed part of the images is 10"x 27"

No comments:

Post a Comment