Thursday, October 7, 2010

Good intentions

Last night I was thinking I would get up while it was still dark and drive around until I found something wonderful to photograph. Well I slept in and just couldnt seem to get myself going this morning. So I had to settle for taking photos off my back step. Maybe I will pack my gear tonight and get out there tomorrow. ; )
I have been asked about letting you guys in on some photo tips. So I guess I will start with this photo.
1.First of all I took a shot in "P" mode. (At this point I am using the camera as a meter) the camera gave me a reading of 10sec at f4 which is wide open for the lens I was using. ( Also let me say that as I was taking this photo from so far away, depth of field was not an issue)This also gave me a lighter exposure than I wanted, washing out the colours a bit. Also I was not using a tripod so there was no way to hand hold my camera and get a clear image.
2.I knew I needed to get my shutter speed up to a fast enough speed to get a sharp image. So I set my ISO to 800. Now I was getting a reading 1 sec at f4 . that was getting closer to handholding speed.
3. Now this reading was giving me the cameras idea of correct exposure . My creative vision was to see all the colours so I underexposed a bit. This allowed me to shoot it at .25sec at f4. Leaning against a pole I was able to steady myself enough to get a fairly sharp image.
So the main thing that I changed to capture the image I wanted was the ISO . If I hadn't I would have ended up with alot of blurry images to delete from my computer. Using a tripod would have been a better solution . As I could take the faster ISO out of the equation giving me less noise. .. Noise is often a problem in a photos of the sky. Higher ISO's make it worse.
I hope this has been helpful. Happy clicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment