Saturday, June 22, 2013

Midnight sun

It's midnight on the longest day of the year. I am out on my deck. It's still, eerily still. Not a leaf is trembling on the trees that hang over my deck. I listen to the noises usually masked by the sound of leaves rustling in the breeze or chattering of birds. The bullfrogs down at the creek croak relentlessly. A killdeer peeps. I can hear the neighbours dog barking a mile away. I can hear the catapillers or maybe those green worms munching in the trees. A lone mosquito buzzes around my head and a cow sighs. One coyote in the east, joined by another in the north and one in the south. They howl out their locations to one another then fall quiet again. Kitty lets out a squeak as he jumps in my lap for a late night cuddle. I review the day touching on and savoring all the high points. My life may not be perfect but right now, at this moment, it is grand and i am grateful. I say a little prayer for those troubled and in need. The breeze picks up again and the lone mosquito has summoned his friends. It's time to end the longest day of the year. Goodnight my loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment